Pre-kids, I worked an office job 9-5, and baking was probably my favorite hobby. I love thinking of different cupcakes to make, and these S’mores Cupcakes were one of my biggest hits. Obviously, you can make a traditional s’more easily by toasting marshmallows by a fire or in the microwave and combining with chocolate and graham crackers, but these creative cupcakes are a fun way to celebrate those flavors.
Crushed graham crackers are stirred in the vanilla cupcake batter to give them a touch of graham cracker flavor. And since it wouldn’t be a s’more without gooey, melted chocolate, a milk chocolate ganache is used as a filling in the center of the cupcake. Mixing marshmallow fluff into buttercream frosting completes the flavor trifecta. Easily transportable, these s’mores cupcakes are perfect for bringing along to summer barbecues and other parties.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cake flour (if you don’t have cake flour, you can use all-purpose flour only, it just won’t be as fluffy)
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup crushed graham crackers (plus additional for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Cream butter and sugar using an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, so that it’s light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg.
- Add vanilla, baking powder and salt to mixture. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine flours.
- Measure out the milk and alternately add the flour and the milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Fold in the graham cracker crumbs.
- Fill lined cupcake tins with batter.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes in pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the ganache filling, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan until simmering, then pour it over the chocolate.
- Let sit for one minute and then whisk until smooth. If the chocolate still isn’t melted, heat over a double boiler or in the microwave in 10 second increments.
- Add the butter and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Allow the ganache to cool and thicken. Meanwhile, cut out a portion from the center of the cupcake using a small knife or cupcake corer (like this one*).
- Use a spoon to fill the holes in each cupcake with 1-2 Tablespoons of ganache.
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 oz. marshmallow fluff
- Cream the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the vanilla and salt. Mix well.
- Fold in the marshmallow fluff.
- Top cupcakes with prepared frosting and garnish with additional graham cracker crumbs and a drizzle of chocolate ganache.
- Store cupcakes in an air-tight container until served.
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.