Since it’s strawberry season, I went digging through my files for strawberry recipes I’ve made and loved. (Before kids, I used to work as a freelance recipe writer, so was always trying and tweaking new recipes.) Here’s a recipe for strawberry white chocolate scones. I made these for my sister-in-law’s wedding shower, and I was so happy with how they came out.
If you’ve recently been strawberry picking, this is a great way to use some of your strawberries! Click HERE to read about our day at Shady Brook Farm. None Such Farm is also a great Bucks County spot.
These tender scones are bursting with fresh chopped strawberries and white chocolate chips for a beautiful and tasty treat. While you can certainly make them larger, they’re shown here as mini scones. The small two-bite size makes them wonderful for serving at pot-luck brunches, bridal or baby showers, teas, or any other occasion where you’ll be serving a variety of dishes. (They’re also just cuter this way!) The recipe will make about 40 mini scones or 8 standard sized scones, which also make for a nice lazy weekend breakfast with the family.
Many scone recipes use heavy cream, but non-fat Greek yogurt is used here with just a splash of light cream. In addition to cutting fat and calories, the use of yogurt also keeps the scones from getting too dense and hardening quickly. Instead, the scones stay soft, light and airy. And while eating them just as they’ve cooled enough to touch is always best, they keep rather well for a few days if stored in an air-tight container. (You can also refrigerate them to keep them a few days longer.) They can be eaten at room temperature or warmed in a toaster oven before serving if you prefer them warm.
- 3-1/4 cup flour, plus more for kneading/rolling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes and frozen for 20 minutes
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons light cream (or milk)
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced strawberries (about 1/2 a pint)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the frozen butter and use a fork, pastry cutter or your fingers to cut in the butter. When you’re finished, the flour mixture should look like thick clumps of sad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cream and vanilla extract.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the dough and mix in using a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Add the egg and mix in.
- Add the strawberries and white chocolate chips, using your hands to mix in the ingredients. Do not overmix.
- The dough will feel slightly wet and sticky. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes to absorb more of the liquid.
- Dust a flat, clean surface with a bit of flour. Place the dough on top and sprinkle the dough with a bit more flour. Knead the dough a few times, and use a rolling pin to gently create a rectangle that is about 8″ x 10.”
- Use a serrated knife to cut the rectangle into approximately 20 squares. Then cut the squares in half diagonally to create triangles.
- Place scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (Or invest in silicone baking mats like THESE* on Amazon. I use them for just about all baking!) Use two baking sheets if necessary, as scones will expand a bit when baked.
- Brush scones with melted butter and sprinkle a little sugar on top.
- Bake scones for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden and set at the edges.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying Amazon purchases.
One thought on “Strawberry White Chocolate Scones Recipe”